Fire destroys 7-flats building, burnt property worth N8.5m in Kwara

Get more connected to the real facts

Ravaging fire engulfed a block of seven flats at Olorunsogo area in Ilorin West Local Government Area of Kwara State in the early hours of Sunday and left household property estimated at about N8.5million destroyed.

The fire incident which was reported to the state Fire Service at about 02:58am on Sunday by a resident destroyed the building before the Fire Service men arrived to put off the fire to curb its spread to surrounding buildings.

Head of Media and Publicity of the state fire service, Hassan Adekunle, said that the fire incident was instigated by power surge as a result of high voltage of electricity supply to the area.

He, however, said that no human life was lost in the incident as all residents in the flats were lucky to wake up and ran out of the building while the firemen who arrived later in the area put off the fire and saved about N4.5million worth of property.

The Fire Service in a statement by Adekunle said, “Today Sunday 18th September, 2022. at about 02:58hrs fire gutted a building of about seven flats as a result of power surge.

“This incident took place at No.63 Lawyer Laro Street Olorunshogo area, Ilorin, Ilorin West Local Government Area, Kwara State.

“On getting to the scene ground, we realised that the whole building had been engulfed by the blazing fire due to the late call by the sympathizer.

“Although the conflagration was huge, our firemen we’re able to demonstrate high level of professionalism and in no time the ravaging inferno was totally extinguished. and also damped the surrounding area in order to stop the further fire escalation.

“The leading officer of the firemen crew who attended to the incident revealed that even though the fire was caused due to the power surge but a iron was also met plug in.

“The Director of Kwara State Fire Service, Prince Falade Olumuyiwa, urged the citizens to always cultivate the habit of switching off their electrical appliances even before the bedtime, as this would help them to prevent the chances of fire outbreaks in their various homes, and also help them to drastically reduce it.”

Please Post Your Comments & Reviews

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *